Bills, bills, bills – the darn things show up every month demanding to be paid. What can you do to lower your water bill? Wouldn’t it be nice to have a little extra money in your pocket? How can you make that happen? There are a few ways that you can lower your water bill by next month’s bill! That’s the great thing about utility bills. There ARE ways to lower them that are within your control.
We are going to go over some specific ways to lower your water bill right away!
We are not suggesting not showering! Please continue engaging in proper hygiene! We are going to give you five easy-to-implement suggestions that won’t cramp your lifestyle but will ease up on your bank account! Check out these suggestions!
5 WAYS TO LOWER YOUR WATER BILL
- Turn off the water when not in use. This sounds basic, but we are talking about those times when you leave that liquid gold running down the drain for no reason! We are guessing that you leave the water on while brushing your teeth, don’t you? Turn it off while in the brushing process. You only need it to rinse the brush and your mouth. It’s only costing you money to leave it on during the brushing process. Additionally, turn off the water when doing dishes. You may be thinking, “How can I wash the dishes if the water is turned off?” Again, turn it off when not in use. If you are loading the dishwasher, for example, rinse the dish, turn off the water, put the dish in the dishwasher, then turn the water back on to rinse the next dish. If you are busy scrubbing a pot, turn the water off until you actually need it to rinse the pot!
- Don’t water your lawn more than necessary. You live in Florida! It rains here – a lot. It is not necessary to water your lawn frequently. A great way to water your plants without using water that costs you money is by conserving rainwater. You don’t need a fancy rainwater collection system. You can even collect it in a five-gallon bucket each time it rains! Then, use it to water indoor plants or use it a few days later if your outdoor plants are looking thirsty. Don’t leave it sitting around too long though. You don’t want to invite mosquitoes into your yard!
- Take a shower, not a bath. While soaking in a tub with a glass of wine may sound relaxing, you are using up to twice as much water as you would by taking a shower (unless you stay in there a LONG time). A nice bath once in a while is fine, but if you make a habit of it, cutting back should help your water bill.
- Buy energy-efficient appliances. We realize that this suggestion comes with some upfront costs, but it will help in the long run. If your dishwasher or washing machine is twenty years old, then the newer models will definitely be much more energy-efficient and use less water. You may end up saving on your electric bill too. This is a win all-around.
- Repair leaks. Leaky faucets may not seem like a huge water loss, but they actually use more water than you realize. Of course, it depends on how fast the dripping is occurring, but this can certainly affect your bill. If you have an actual pipe leak, then you need to call a plumber immediately, unless you are very handy and know how to fix it properly.
WHAT IF A LEAKY PIPE IS THE PROBLEM?
If you have noticed a significant increase in your water bill, then you may have a leaky pipe. One clue that this is the case is if you hear the sound of running water in your house even when no water is turned on. The sound can be deceiving though as it echoes through the pipes. You may think it is a leak in a wall pipe when it is actually a pipe under the concrete slab of the house.
If you suspect a leaky pipe, then it is time to give us a call at Sun Plumbing. With over forty-five years of experience, Sun Plumbing is the leading plumbing company in Melbourne, Florida. With a team of highly trained plumbers who work efficiently and thoroughly to solve your plumbing problem, you will rest easy knowing that your leak is fixed properly!
We offer leak detection, so you do not have to call a separate company to locate your leak. Once located, we will let you know what the issue is, and with your permission, we will take care of it to your satisfaction without dinging your pocketbook too much! For decades, Sun Plumbing has been known for “being as dependable as the sun.” Give us a call to find out why! And, be sure to implement the above suggestions to bring that water bill down, down, down!